Science of Star Wars
THE FORCE RETURNS TO THE LANCASTER SCIENCE FACTORY!
On November 17th, The Lancaster Science Factory will be participating in the Extraordinary Give, and this year, we are presenting four events that are out of this world as we host “The Science of Star Wars” on November 11, 12 and 17.
These big events will feature your favorite Star Wars costumed characters and the chance to engage in the Science of Star Wars at the Lancaster Science Factory’s Science Café!
Saturday, November 11, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- See members from the Capital City Jedi Knights perform a lightsaber battle. This year they will be joined by Ghost Base, which is the Pennsylvania and Delaware chapter of the Rebel Legion, the premier Rebel (“good guy”) costuming organization as recognized by LucasFilm Ltd.
Sunday, November 12, 12 – 2 p.m.
- Join members from Garrison Carida, local unit of the 501st Legion with more than 50 special costume characters representing the “Dark Side.”
- Confirmed characters include: Darth Maul, C3P0, and R2D2.
New for 2017:
Kids STEM Faire, Friday, November 17, 4 – 6 p.m.
- The Lancaster Science Factory and Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology are throwing a Kids STEM Faire, where LSF will offer FREE ADMISSION during this event from 4-6 p.m. Bring your credit card for the ExtraGive stations while kids, K-8th grade can enjoy Baxter, a lovable robot that will meet and greet you. Kids STEM Faire events include casting your own metal figurine, photo ops with Star Wars characters, Free T-shirts screen-printed on-site, make your own wooden snowman, get a zipper pull produced on a 3-D printer, make techy jewelry from electronics components, explore how pollution gets into a stream or lake, try on virtual reality glasses, and see some of the Science Factory’s favorite science experiments like making a cloud or fly a drone.
STEM Happy Hour, Friday, November 17, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Then later, adults can partake in the STEM Happy Hour from 6 to 8 p.m. RSVP is required so we have enough food and drink. Here, Baxter the Robot will pour you a glass of wine for those 21 and over (ID required). Beer and soda are also available as well as hors d’oeuvres. Many science experiments and demos will be in the Mueller Hall of Science for the kids and at the STEM Happy Hour you can watch as we screen print a T-shirt for you, make your own terrarium in a jar, watch a 3-D printer in action and take home a zipper pull, and take a selfie with a fully-costumed Star Wars character – who’s your favorite? Plus, explore all the interactive stations at the Lancaster Science Factory, try on some virtual reality glasses, talk to Thaddeus Stevens College students about their experiences, donate to Thaddeus Stevens College Foundation and the Lancaster Science Factory by using the ExtraGive Day donation kiosks to give extraordinary. Register now for this FREE happy hour event.
On November 17th, for 24-hours only, visit ExtraGive.org, make a donation to the Lancaster Science Factory (min. $25) and every dollar you donate will be stretched by at least $500,000 from the Lancaster County Community Foundation, our Presenting Sponsors Rodgers & Associates and the S. Dale High Family Foundation, plus our generous community partners, to support the Lancaster Science Factory!