We are proud to be a trusted educational partner to homeschool families across Central Pennsylvania. Homeschool classes are offered at the Lancaster Science Factory on select days during the Fall/Winter and Winter/Spring semesters. Classes offer a chance to engage students in group learning and hands-on experimentation.
Programs are designed for students in grade levels 2 – 8. Each semester is divided into themed units and lessons which build from one session to the next. Parents can enroll students in each session individually or enjoy a discount when enrolling in the entire semester.
The 2019 Fall Homeschool Program is here! This season, students will engage in hands-on STEM learning as they explore topics that relate to Community Helpers. Cyber and Homeschool families may also be interested in the new Code @ Home program in the Maker Space!
Unit 1, Lesson 1: Police – October 10th, 2019. 1pm
- Police and detectives use a special kind of science – forensics – to solve crimes. In this lesson, students will use problem solving skills to gather clues and discover how DNA became so important for police work.
Unit 1, Lesson 2: Firefighters – October 24th, 2019. 1pm
- The men and women who put out fires need to know some important science to do their jobs. Students will learn some key chemistry concepts like the Fire Triangle while doing exciting experiments with Thermodynamics and popcorn!
Unit 2, Lesson 1: Medical Workers – November 14th, 2019. 1pm
- Doctors and Nurses use science to treat their patients and need a LOT of special training to do what they do. In this lesson, students will get a sample of applied Biology as they explore basic anatomy and construct a human puzzle.
Unit 2, Lesson 2: Dentists – November 21st, 2019. 1pm
- Dentists want to keep you teeth and gums healthy – don’t be scared of them! Students will discover the fascinating science of human teeth, what they’re made of, and play dentist themselves in this lesson.
Unit 3, Lesson 1: Engineers – December 5th, 2019. 1pm
- From roads, to buildings, to your own refrigerator, engineers creations are everywhere! In this lesson, students will learn how the forces of physics affect buildings, test their arch-building skills, and work together to build a city.
Unit 3, Lesson 2: Culinary Arts – December 19th, 2019. 1pm
- Cooking and baking is chemistry, math, and experiementation – it’s STEM! Learn about measurments and conversions and then make some edible science to celebrate the final lesson of the season!
Homeschool families should also consider membership to the Lancaster Science Factory for a considerable savings on general admission. Homeschool groups may enjoy the benefits of our cost-effective field trip packages.
Our Homeschool Class Mission
The mission of our homeschool class programming is to innovatively introduce or reinforce STEM concepts to students in grades 2-8.
As with all of our programs, we strive to connect these topics to meaningful, real-world application. In the sprit of the Lancaster Science Factory, our educators use inquiry-based hands-on learning during each lesson. Student are engaged both individually and in groups.
All classes are based on the Standards Aligned System of the PA Department of Education. We strive to accommodate students’ individual needs and learning styles.