- This event has passed.
Homeschool Hands-On STEM
October 10, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
One event on October 24, 2019 at 1:00 pm
One event on November 14, 2019 at 1:00 pm
One event on November 21, 2019 at 1:00 pm
One event on December 5, 2019 at 1:00 pm
One event on December 19, 2019 at 1:00 pm
The 2019 Fall Homeschool Program is here! This season, students will engage in hands-on STEM learning as they explore topics that relate to Community Helpers. Cyber and Homeschool families may also be interested in the new Code @ Home program in the Maker Space!
Unit 1, Lesson 1: Police – October 10th, 2019. 1pm
- Police and detectives use a special kind of science – forensics – to solve crimes. In this lesson, students will use problem solving skills to gather clues and discover how DNA became so important for police work.
Unit 1, Lesson 2: Firefighters – October 24th, 2019. 1pm
- The men and women who put out fires need to know some important science to do their jobs. Students will learn some key chemistry concepts like the Fire Triangle while doing exciting experiments with Thermodynamics and popcorn!
Unit 2, Lesson 1: Medical Workers – November 14th, 2019. 1pm
- Doctors and Nurses use science to treat their patients and need a LOT of special training to do what they do. In this lesson, students will get a sample of applied Biology as they explore basic anatomy and construct a human puzzle.
Unit 2, Lesson 2: Dentists – November 21st, 2019. 1pm
- Dentists want to keep you teeth and gums healthy – don’t be scared of them! Students will discover the fascinating science of human teeth, what they’re made of, and play dentist themselves in this lesson.
Unit 3, Lesson 1: Engineers – December 5th, 2019. 1pm
- From roads, to buildings, to your own refrigerator, engineers creations are everywhere! In this lesson, students will learn how the forces of physics affect buildings, test their arch-building skills, and work together to build a city.
Unit 3, Lesson 2: Culinary Arts – December 19th, 2019. 1pm
- Cooking and baking is chemistry, math, and experiementation – it’s STEM! Learn about measurments and conversions and then make some edible science to celebrate the final lesson of the season!